Who can get an NHS COVID Pass letter?
You can ask for an NHS COVID Pass letter for travel to be sent by post in up to 7 days if you:
- need an accessible format (e.g., braille, audio and big print)
- need information about the NHS COVID Pass in another language, and you can not access the translated guides online here
- have limited digital access or are requesting on behalf of someone who has limited or no digital access
- are a parent or legal guardian of a child aged 5-11 living in Wales
If you don't meet any of the above criteria or want your NHS COVID Pass quicker, you can get a COVID Pass online for your child aged 5-15 or request an NHS COVID Pass online with an NHS login if you're aged 12 or over. Read more about the NHS login service.
If you're 13 or over, you can also get it via the NHS App
To request an NHS COVID Pass letter in Wales or Isle of Man (age 12 or over), visit:
What do I need to request an NHS COVID Pass letter?
You can get an NHS COVID Pass letter for travel based on proof of vaccination if you:
- are aged 5 or over
- have received 2 or more doses of a COVID-19 vaccine recognised in the UK or 1 dose of Janssen, and it has been 5 days since your last vaccination dose
If you had your vaccination in Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales you can use this service if you're registered with a GP in England.
Find out more about coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccinations recognised in the UK
You can also use this service if you:
- have had certain vaccines abroad: you need to tell the NHS about coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccinations you've had abroad
- were vaccinated on an official clinical trial in England and your trial site has uploaded your vaccine information onto the NHS vaccine database
Contact your clinical trial site if you cannot get your NHS COVID Pass letter.
You cannot use this service if you have successfully applied for your NHS record to be flagged as sensitive.
Your child from 5 to 11 can also receive an NHS COVID Pass letter for proof of recovery if:
- they have had a positive NHS PCR test for COVID-19 in the past 180 days
How it works
If you have the required COVID-19 records we will send you an NHS COVID Pass letter in a paper format to the address listed on your GP record. You will need to provide:
- either full name or NHS number
- date of birth
What address the NHS has for you
If you're not registered with a GP, this can be the address you give when you use other parts of the NHS, like hospitals.
Check the details your GP surgery has for you are up to date. You can register with a GP surgery if you do not have one.
What will I receive?
You will receive an NHS COVID Pass letter for travel which includes a 2D barcode that is valid for 180 days.
How long will it take to arrive?
The NHS COVID Pass letter takes up to 7 working days to arrive in the post.
Ask for a letter by phone
You can ask for a letter by calling:
- 119 if you live in England
- +44 151 905 0119 if you're abroad (you'll be charged according to your carrier's rates)
- 0808 162 4119 free from any Isle of Man landline or mobile phone (dial the full 11-digit number)
Do not call if you're travelling in more than 4 weeks' time.